Friday, February 05, 2010

Homemade Granola with Agave Nectar

I love to eat cereal every morning for breakfast, but I hate eating so much sugar. So I switch to eating granola for breakfast, but there still was a lot of sugar in it. So I created my own granola recipe that uses agave nectar because it is low on the glycemic index.

4 cups oats
1 cup of large rice crispies (it is a new product but adds a nice touch to the mix)
1 cup dried fruit
1 cup nuts
3/4 cup light agave nectar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
salt to taste
dark agave nectar to drizzle

In a large mixing bowl mix the dry ingredients. In a medium saucepan add the butter, vanilla, and the light agave nectar. Cook on a medium heat until it starts to boil and let boil for a minute. Pour the hot wet mixture in the mixing bowl of dry ingredients and mix well. Place on a lined cookie sheet (I use a silicone mat) and spread the granola mixture on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake at 250 for an hour to an hour and a half until the granola is golden brown. The time can vary based on your oven and personal taste. Once it is golden brown take it out of the oven and immediately drizzle the dark agave nectar generously over the mixture. Let cool and store in a ziplock bag.

Some varieties I've made were dried apples with walnuts (and I added a dash of cinnamon), blueberries and almonds, and craisins with pecans.

Pin It

1 comments:

marion said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

http://businesseshome.net